Romanesco with Tomatoes and Onions
- 1 Medium head of romanesco
- 1 Onion
- 1/2 – 1 Cup quick tomato sauce (really depends on how saucy you want to get)
- 3 Fresh garlic cloves (diced) OR about a teaspoon of dried diced garlic
- 1/2 tsp or to taste – salt
- 1/2 tsp or to taste – pepper about 1/4 cup of white wine
Dice up the romanesco and onion. In a medium skillet, pour in the 1/4 cup white wine and garlic. Put it on medium heat. Add the romanesco and put a lid on the skillet (I recommend a glass lid so you can see what’s happening in there). The goal here is to lightly steam the romanesco in the white wine first. Give it a 10 minute head start on an electric stove (on a gas stove, use lower heat and pay attention to it do the wine doesn’t all evaporate and you end up with burnt romanesco). Pour in the tomato sauce and diced onion. Add the salt and pepper. Put the lid back on and cook it for another 5 or so minutes until the onions are done.
I personally like to add parmesan cheese (that would make this not vegan, of course) and serve with some warm sourdough slices (which would not be grain free, of course).