Millet and Brown Rice Ramen Noodles
This recipe submitted by Tammera Karr, a holistic nutritionist, author and speaker. You can visit her website at yourwholenutrition.com.
- Millet and brown rice Ramen noodles (Lotus foods).
- 1 cup stock/broth (can use veggie broth or a meat broth if you’re not vegetarian)
- 1 4oz can Shiitake sliced mushrooms
- 1 hard boiled egg sliced
- 1 Tablespoon tamari lite sauce
- 1 Tablespoon fresh minced chive or green onion
- (Optional) Chili Garlic hot sauce
In traditional Asian medicine, a bowl of this soup is used for breakfast or lunch. It provides a gentle introduction to food after the fast following dinner. The brown rice millet noodles are gluten free, reducing inflammation and are easy to digest. The use of chicken, beef, pork, vegetable and mushroom broths provide nutrients that the microbiome can build immunity and health with. The egg provides protein, healthy fat and the important nutrient, choline. The green onion provides flavor and elements used to improve digestion and overall health. A dash of gluten free Tamari sauce supports the Umami flavor and reduces cancer risk with targeted polysaccharides and nutrients.
If using multiple pans, boil water for the egg in one and the noodles in another. When the egg is done, empty water and use the pan to boil broth, mushrooms and seasoning, then follow steps 1-4 below.
If this is a one-pan meal: soft boil egg for 3 minutes (this will continue to cook after removal from hot water), remove from hot water, then follow steps 1-4 below.
- Bring water to a boil and place dry ramen noodles in water – follow the cooking directions on the package. When cooked, drain the water off the noodles and place them in a bowl.
- Heat broth, drained mushrooms, and Tamari sauce to boil, and add to bowl with noodles.
- Chop the green onion, and peel egg.
- Place green onion on noodles and broth, slice egg in half and add it to the bowl.
Prep time: 5-10 min.
Cook time: 10 min.